Monday, February 17, 2014


Forgiving my Coach

            Have you ever had a moment when a coach has frustrated you beyond belief? Had that feeling where you wanted to just not be around your coach because of what he has done to you. Had that coach realize he was wrong for doing something to you and then he realizes he was wrong and had to forgive him? Well last fall, this happened to me at my old school of Urbana University.

            Last fall I sat in my dorm room waiting to go to golf practice. I was having a good golf season and had a somewhat good relationship with my coach. It was time to go to practice and so I went. It became just one of those days where I just wasn’t striking the ball the best and many thoughts about my swing were running through my head. My coach was there and saw my struggles but deep down he knew I was one of his best bets to compete at our conference tourney. I hadn’t been chosen to compete yet because of my struggles and he said he’d let us know who was playing.

            Later that night as I was sitting in the gym watching a girls’ basketball game when I got the text from coach. I was shocked at what I saw. He had left me out of the 5 man rotation to go play at the conference tournament. I couldn’t believe it. I was so mad for the time being and many weeks following. The team went on and played in the conference tournament finishing 8th out of 10 teams. Coach was upset with the team and I knew he had made a mistake but didn’t know if he knew. But if he admitted to his mistake, there might have been a way for me to forgive him.

            I had been playing so consistent all year and he had left me out. I was laying around one day when coach called me and told me to meet him at his office. So I went to his office to what I prepared to be me forgiving my coach. When I walked in, my coach immediately admitted to his mistake and asked me to forgive him. I have to be honest and say a part of me wanted to say screw off and walk out but the better side of me came out and I did forgive him. It may have not been the thing I wanted to do, but for respect it’s what I did. Just to keep the relationship good between us.

            The act of forgiving my coach was the best thing for me to do not only for myself but for him. I could have easily told him off but I was the better man and did forgive. I forgave for the benefit of myself so I wouldn’t be so mad at him. I also did it so I could still keep respect for him. Although I don’t play for him, I still have the upmost respect for him and always will because I forgave him for an honest mistake. Forgiveness is powerful and the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment